On January 28th, 2017, ISIS began using the executive order banning all visa holders, including those with permanent resident status, who country of origin is Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, or Yemen, as propaganda, telling potential and current informants, translators, etc. working with the US military their value to the US was nil. It should be noted that the less discussed, second executive order that DT signed yesterday was for increased military spending to “prepare for war with ISIS.” I am saying it now, and it has been in my head like a refrain since last night: The Reichstag Fire is coming within the month. Source: https://twitter.com/theosint/status/825395944967503872, screenshot:
- On January 28th, 2017, enraged New Yorkers began an emergency rally at JFK International Airport’s Terminal 4 arrivals area to protest the Muslim ban and to support the Muslim visa holders detained at immigration. As of 1:34 PM, no arrests or violence have been reported. They are joined by Congressional Representatives of 2 New York City Districts, Nydia Velazquez and Jerry Nadler. (Source: https://twitter.com/thenyic/status/825405039594393600 Source 2: https://twitter.com/RepJerryNadler/status/825389749644967937 Source 3: https://twitter.com/NydiaVelazquez/status/825398503715266561)
- On January 28th, 2017, Congressional Representatives Nydia Velazquez and Jerry Nadler secured the release of Hameed Khalid Darweesh, an Iraqi who had worked in conjunction with the US military in Iraq for 10 years. The representatives are continuing their efforts for 11 other detainees. (Source 1: https://twitter.com/NydiaVelazquez/status/825400669687390212 Source 2: https://twitter.com/RepJerryNadler/status/825397655048171521 Source 3: https://twitter.com/RepJerryNadler/status/825404884321202178)
- On January 28th, 2017, in response to the executive order banning visa holders originally from Iran, among 6 other majority Muslim nations, the Iranian government will ban visas for all US citizens. It remains to be seen how this will affect the Iran nuclear deal, which lifted sanctions on Iran in exchange for their agreement not to use nuclear technology for the development of weapons. (Source: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/28/middleeast/iran-will-ban-us-citizens/index.html)
- On January 28th, 2017, a senior Chinese military official said that war with the US had become “a practical reality.” (Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/china-donald-trump-war-us-military-official-practical-reality-president-latest-a7550601.html)
- On January 28th, 2017, as of 1:45 PM, not a single Republican Senator had released a statement regarding the executive order banning entry to all visa holders of 7 majority Muslim nations, either for or against it. Several of them had tweeted their support of the March for Life or their local basketball team, but did not feel it necessary to address the ban. Several Democratic Senators had also been silent on the ban.(Source: me-- I went through every single senator’s Twitter accounts last night, and again today. Not one republican has addressed the ban. At all.)
- On January 28th, 2017, the New York Post reported that a woman who was being deported back to Chile attempted suicide at JFK airport by swallowing 30 sleeping pills and some muscle relaxants. Her attempt on her own life came before the Muslim ban, which did not affect her directly, but she should be a harbinger of what is to come. She was taken to Jamaica Hospital in Queens and is in stable condition. (Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/woman-set-deportation-attempts-suicide-jfk-article-1.2958066?cid=bitly)
- On January 28th, 2017, in retaliation for the executive order banning entry to the US by visa holders and permanent residents whose country of origin is one of 7 predominantly Muslim countries, the Iraqi parliament discusses banning all US citizen visas, including contractors and journalists. (Source: https://twitter.com/borzou/status/825421577588195329 awaiting further confirmation)
- On January 28th, 2017, it became clear that the executive branch of our federal government is guilty, by definition of US law, by section 0.85 of 28 Code of Federal Regulations, which defines terrorism as "the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives.”
- On January 28th, 2017, a few hours after the executive order banning nationals of 7 majority Muslim nations from entering the US, a mosque in Texas went up in flames in the early morning. (Source: https://thinkprogress.org/islamic-center-of-victoria-fire-8a683f632a7a#.629xnh6vj)
- On January 28th, 2017, the New York Taxi Workers Alliance, a union of taxi drivers comprised of Americans of all creeds, colors, and nationalities, but with many members hailing from the 7 countries named in the executive order, issued a statement condemning the Muslim ban. Shortly afterward, they announced that they would implement a strike from 6:00 - 7:00 PM EST, when they would not pick up from JFK International Airport. Car services such as Uber and Lyft are not permitted to pick up from airports in New York City, though they can drop off. (Source 1, initial NYTWA statement: :https://www.facebook.com/nytwa/posts/1562624543751719 Source 2: https://twitter.com/NYTWA/status/825462249468919808 Source 3: https://twitter.com/NYTWA/status/825463758709518337 Source 4: https://twitter.com/NYTWA/status/825482542564438016)
- On January 28th, 2017, Washington Post White House Bureau Chief Philip Rucker tweeted, “WH worked with Dept of Homeland Security for several weeks to plan implementation of refugees/visa executive order, per sr admin official.” The current White House administration and all of its staff had only been in the office for one week when the Muslim ban was issued, so no “senior admin official” could have been in discussion with Homeland Security for several weeks. Rucker did not report this as a lie, simply as a statement. It is a lie. (Source 1: https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/825410146830524417 Screenshot:
- On January 28th, 2017, despite DT insisting “it is not a Muslim ban,” Michael Flynn, Jr., son of White House National Security Advisor and noted islamophobe Michael Flynn, tweeted “Making America Great Again!” with the hashtag #MuslimBan. I will not link his tweet, because he is a disgusting, privileged bigot and deserves no further attention, but here is a screenshot. Not even sure the apple fell from the tree here, never mind far.
- On January 28th, 2017, DT had a telephone call with Vladimir Putin to discuss military coordinations and to strengthen the economic ties between the countries the two dictators rule. Vladimir Putin is a murderous despot whom DT has praised repeatedly as a strong leader. (Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-holds-calls-with-putin-leaders-from-europe-and-asia/2017/01/28/42728948-e574-11e6-a547-5fb9411d332c_story.html?hpid=hp_no-name_no-name:page/breaking-news-bar&tid=a_breakingnews&utm_term=.13e7590d5676)
- On January 28th, 2017, Twitter user @odyllyp tweeted this story about his time in the army in Iraq and the translator he befriended while he was there. I feel like we could all use something beautiful, so I’m just going to screenshot it in its entirety. Strangely, I feel like more than anything, these are the kind of stories that will disappear when crackdowns on communication begin, even though it doesn’t feel like “news.” It is worth remembering. Click on each photo below to enlarge (and grab a tissue, because it's a tearjerker):
On January 28th, 2017, DT reorganized the National Security Council to give a seat on the council to noted white supremacist and neo-Nazi Steve Bannon (his White House chief strategist). The Washington Post reports:
In a separate presidential memo, Trump reorganized the National Security Council to, along with other changes, give Bannon a regular seat on the principals committee — the meetings of the most senior national security officials, including the secretaries of defense and state.
That memo also states that the director of national intelligence and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff will sit on the principals committee only when the issues to be discussed pertain to their “responsibilities and expertise.” In the previous two administrations, both were included as regular attendees.
A former CIA agent, Susan Hasler later tweeted, “This makes me physically ill,” in response. (Source 1: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-holds-calls-with-putin-leaders-from-europe-and-asia/2017/01/28/42728948-e574-11e6-a547-5fb9411d332c_story.html?utm_term=.0ef403f3bf0a Source 2: https://twitter.com/SusanHasler/status/825548310807207936)
On January 28th, 2017, DT sent a presidential memo to the Pentagon to submit a proposal to defeat the Islamic State within 30 days. Prepare for war, everyone! (Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-holds-calls-with-putin-leaders-from-europe-and-asia/2017/01/28/42728948-e574-11e6-a547-5fb9411d332c_story.html?utm_term=.0ef403f3bf0a)
On January 28th, 2017, Federal Judge Ann Donnelly issued a stay for all detainees being held at airports in the US, pending the ACLU’s lawsuit against DT over the illegal and unconstitutional Muslim ban. Those still overseas, however, will still be subject to the executive order (SO KEEP FIGHTING). (Source: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/28/federal-judge-stays-deportations-trump-muslim-executive-order)
On January 28th, 2017, Sean Spicer quote RTed The Onion’s tweet that read: “.@SeanSpicer's role in the Trump administration will be to provide the American public with robust and clearly articulated misinformation.” with the comment, “You nailed it. Period!” It is unclear whether or not Spicer lacked the reading comprehension to see that he was being called out for spreading lies on behalf of the administration, or was desperately attempting to warn the public. The quote RT was not from his official account as Press Secretary. (Source 1, The Onion’s original tweet: https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/825546280034201600 Source 2, Spice’s quote RT: https://twitter.com/seanspicer/status/825565510418968578 Source 3, screenshot: