Before we get to the day's news, I want to ask for a bit more feedback. Sometimes (ok, often) I become aware of something a day or even a few days after that I want to include in the list, or, pretty often, after I go to bed some more information comes out for the day.
As of right now, what I do is go back to that particular date and put it on the list, but I don't know if this is best for everyone, because it requires that you go back and reread previous days.
So, I'm asking what you all would prefer, since this worked out pretty well last time.
For today, I am going to add all the information that I am posting today to this entry, regardless of what day it occurred, so you can see what it would look like.
Thanks, everyone-- as always, stay safe and stay sane! Our letters, phone calls, marches, and rallies seem to be having an impact. KEEP IT UP!
- On February 11th, 2017, the Guardian reported that veterans have returned to Standing Rock to defend water protectors protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline.
- On February 13th, 2017, several members of Congress called for an investigation into disgraced retired general and White House national security advisor Mike Flynn's relationship with Russia and whether or not he spoked with the Russian ambassador about the possibility of lifting US sanctions on the country. Among them were Representative Mike Coffman of Colorado in a press release, as well as 17 members of the House of Representatives led by ranking minority member Representative Elijah E. Cummings of Maryland, who signed a letter to Representative Jason Chaffetz, chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.
- Source, Rep. Coffman's press release: http://coffman.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/rep-coffman-on-michael-flynn
- Source, letter to Jason Chaffetz: https://democrats-oversight.house.gov/sites/democrats.oversight.house.gov/files/documents/2017-02-13%20EEC%20et%20al%20to%20Chaffetz%20re%20Flynn.pdf
- On February 13, 2017, Flynn was reported to the National Security Agency over claims that he violated the Foreign Agents Registration Act by seeking to influence the White House in favor of Turkish President and demagogue Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, best known for imprisoning more journalists than any other country for several years running.
- On February 13th, 2017, Mike Pence stated that he believed he had been misled by Flynn when the disgraced retired general told him that he had not discussed sanctions with the Russian ambassador in December. Flynn's calls with the Russian ambassador are under investigation by the FBI, while the Army is investigating whether or not Flynn's payment for appearing at a Russian government dinner violates the emoluments clause. Former Acting Attorney General Sally Yates, who was fired for "betraying" DT by instructing federal attorneys not to defend the executive order barring admission to the US by visa holders from 7 majority Muslim nations had apparently warned the White House that Flynn was "vulnerable to Russian blackmail" shortly before she was relieved of her position.
- Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/13/us/politics/donald-trump-national-security-adviser-michael-flynn.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share
- Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/justice-department-warned-white-house-that-flynn-could-be-vulnerable-to-russian-blackmail-officials-say/2017/02/13/fc5dab88-f228-11e6-8d72-263470bf0401_story.html?utm_term=.a4f471a5911a
- On February 13th, 2017, the Washington Post ran a story on the incredibly poor security surrounding absolutely everything with DT's White House, particularly last night's debacle in which he took a confidential briefing on the North Korean missile launch in the middle of the Mar-a-Lago dining room with aides using their camera phone flashes to light classified information (thus literally pointing their unsecured, wired to the internet smart phone cameras directly at classified information). Among other terrifying breaches of national security, an unchecked wealthy Mar-a-Lago member posted pictures of the press conference planning and a selfie he took with the aide-de-camp who brings the nuclear weapons briefcase when DT travels, and posted the photo with the aide's name on Facebook. You will remember that, on February 3rd, Senators Sheldon Whitehouse and Tom Udall requested that DT make public the list of Mar-a-Lago members as well as detailing the screening process to ensure that members were not being offered "pay to play" access to the White House. They were never answered. Hilariously, Speaker of the House and noted invertebrate Paul Ryan had tweeted on July 7th, 2016, that those who are extremely careless with classified information should no longer have access to it-- it remains to be seen if he holds the same position when those who are extremely careless are actually extremely careless and are, oh, right, a man.
- On February 13th, 2017, Representative Kevin Brady, chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, stated that Congress will not seek DT's tax returns to see what, if any, conflicts of interest he has, despite a clambering from Americans to see the returns.
- On February 13th, 2017, ThinkProgress published an article detailing how DT can be held accountable for violating the Constitutions, even if Congress won't bring impeachment charges against him. I haven't cross referenced any of the material here at a more legit news outlet, but it's an encouraging read.
- On February 13th, 2017, Canadian Prime Minister and internet heart throb Justin Trudeau met with DT in Washington. Nothing of note seemed to occur, except that the Prime Minister seemed rather hesitant to shake DT's hand... for obvious reasons, though he did shake his hand, briefly, coming over the top rather dominantly, probably because he knows what DT is like.
- On February 13th, 2017, Oprah Winfrey submitted a tape of Labor Secretary nominee Andrew Pudzer's ex-wife accusing Pudzer of physically abusing her while they were married. Pudzer may be the only nominee that does not get through confirmation, though he would hardly be the only one who is an unqualified misogynist and racist.
- On February 13th, 2017, the Washington Post reported that White House correspondent April Ryan accused Omarosa Manigault, most famous for a stint on the apprentice and now a communications advisor at the White House, of threatening her outside of the Oval Office in a way that nearly required Secret Service intervention, and saying that DT had a "dossier" on Ryan, as well as other Black journalists.
- On February 13th, 2017, an estimated 10,000 demonstrators marched against ICE raids, deportations, and Sheriff David Clarke, best known for posting horrifying incitements of violence against Black people on Twitter.
- BREAKING! On February 13th, 2017, disgraced retired General Mike Flynn becomes disgraced retired national security advisor after a shockingly brief TWENTY FOUR DAYS.